About the Artist
Sharon is an artist printmaker based in Birmingham, England. She studied Fine Art specialising in printmaking and gained her BA(Hons) Degree at the University of Wolverhampton. She obtained her Master of Arts in Fine Art from Coventry University. She spent some time in France painting murals spanning large buildings before moving back to her much loved home city.
Sharon is a respected arts practitioner empowering others to engage creatively through a variety of visual arts media. She has a long career as a facilitator through teaching, residencies, commissions curating exhibitions and events delivering creative projects in the West Midlands. She currently manages a charity working in the area of Arts and Health providing access and participation in the arts for people to improve health, wellbeing and quality of life. She is a member of Birmingham Printmakers serving on their management committee.
Sharon’s current art practice engages with printmaking processes though she has worked across a range of visual media including painting, drawing, collage, photography, assemblages and installations. She creates prints using photographs, drawings and accidental marks and explores imagery found in popular culture and the urban environment that has a personal meaning or fascination. Her images evolve over time into motifs and abstractions of the originals. She enjoys working with and pushing the boundaries of her selected process, currently photo-etching, to realise her ideas and her way of responding to her world.
She has always been attracted to prints and loves their ‘special’ look separate to that seen in paintings and drawings. She enjoys the particular types of lines and tonal values that are unique to different processes. She asserts that there is a challenge and a rigour in choosing a printmaking process through which to realise an image. The imagery is developed and synthesised, refined and filtered or pared down to the most important elements to achieve the desired result.
Sharon’s inspiration comes from her everyday world: imagery derived from a fragment of a photograph or the way sunlight shines on a building captured in a sketch or a photograph. She selects imagery which compels her to experiment with to create something new, but which still references her starting points.
- “The Masters” Etching , Bankside Gallery, London.
- Impress’16 National Contemporary Print Exhibition ‘INCprint, Stroud.
- ‘Salon’ at the Waterhall, Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery.
- National Open Print Exhibition, Bankside Gallery, London.
- Birmingham Printmakers at the Birmingham & Midlands Institute.
- Two person exhibition: ‘Fine Art Prints’ with Karoline Rerrie at the Theatre Bar, Old Joint Stock, Birmingham.
- Birmingham Printmakers at the Birmingham & Midlands Institute.
- ‘Birmingham Today Competition’, RBSA Gallery, Birmingham.
- ‘Birmingham Printmakers: 30 Years of Printmaking 1983-2013’, Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery.
- ‘The Ludlow Open’, Harley Centre, Ludlow College, Ludlow.
- ‘The Worcester Open’, Worcester City Museum & Art Gallery, Worcester.
- ‘Summer Exhibition’ Birmingham Botanical Gardens.
- ‘Print-side’ at the Bond Gallery, Birmingham, with Birmingham Printmakers.
- ‘RE Open’ The Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers, Bankside Gallery, London.
- Printmakers Council’s ‘8th British International Mini Print Exhibition’, London Print Workshop & touring until 2014.
- ‘Wrexham Print international’, Oriel Wrecsam, Wales.
- ‘Bainbridge Open’ Print Show, London.
- ‘We are Birmingham’ with Birmingham Printmakers.
- ‘Birmingham Printmakers Staff House Gallery Show’, Birmingham University.
- ‘Pushing Print’ Ingoldsby Gallery, Pie Factory & Old Town Gallery, Margate, Kent.
- ‘Impress ’09’ National Printmaking Festival, Stroud.
- Solo Exhibition: ‘Lucky Roars & Love Me’ Malvern Hills District Council Chambers, Malvern.
- Solo Exhibition: ‘Printmaker in Focus, April’ Wrexham Arts Centre, Wales
- ‘RBSA Print Prize Exhibition’ RBSA Gallery, Birmingham.
- ‘Artfest Birmingham’ Birmingham Council House Chambers.
- ‘New Art Birmingham NAB 2007’ Curzon Street Station, Birmingham.
- ‘Birmingham Open Art Show’ Gas Hall, Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery.
- Solo Exhibition: ‘Velvet Noir’ Bloomfield Art Gallery, Essex.
- ‘Virtual’, Ernst & Young Offices, Birmingham.
- ‘A Stitch in Time’, Riverside Gallery, Richmond, London.
- ‘Virtual’, City Inn, Birmingham.
- ‘Derby City Open’, Derby City Art Gallery.
- ‘Animal, Vegetable & Mineral’, Periscope Gallery, Birmingham.
- ‘Small Works’, Periscope Gallery, Birmingham.
- ‘Blue Skies’, Custard Factory, Birmingham.
- Solo Exhibition: ‘Things Half Forgotten’ Haden Hill House, Cradley Heath.
- Solo Exhibition: ‘Red Echoes’ the Window, Birmingham Artists’ City Showcase.
- ‘Flipside’, St Paul’s Gallery, Birmingham.
- ‘Birmingham Works II’, Chuck Works, Birmingham.
- Solo Exhibition: ‘Arrangements for Impulse & Order’ Kidderminster Library Gallery.
- “Access all Areas”, Herbert Art Gallery, Coventry.
- Birmingham Print Workshop at Warstone Gallery, Birmingham.
- “Birmingham Works I”, Chuck Works Birmingham.
- ‘A Century of Art at Warstone’ Warstone Gallery, Birmingham.
- Keele University Exhibition with Birmingham Printmakers.
- Crescent Theatre, Birmingham with Birmingham Printmakers.
- Lanchester Gallery, Coventry University.
- Spike Island Print Show, Bristol.
- ‘Pressing Forward’ Midlands Arts Centre MAC with Birmingham Print Workshop.
- ‘4 Birmingham Printmakers’ at London Print Workshop.
- ‘Making a Mark’ Custard Factory, Birmingham.
- Cheltenham Open Drawing Competition.
- ‘Twilight Shift’ Bond Gallery, Birmingham.
- New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton with Birmingham Printmakers.
- ‘Proof’ Midlands Arts Centre MAC, Birmingham, with Birmingham Printmakers.
- Solo Exhibition: ‘States of Mind’ Solihull Sixth Form College, West Midlands.
- Solo Exhibition: ‘Sharon Baker: Selected Prints’ West Midlands Regional Arts Board Headquarters.
- Solo Exhibition: ‘Sharon Baker: Woodcuts & Lino-prints’ Rugby Library Gallery.
- Leicester Art Exhibition for Schools and colleges.
- Bournville College of Art, Birmingham institute of art & Design two person show.
- ‘First Bite’ Midlands Art Centre.
Live Performance Art
- ‘Flux-Fest’ Fluxus Festival performance & artwork commission at Vivid, Birmingham.
- Performer in ‘Yin Yang: You can’t have sound without silence’ by Andrew Phillips, Bond Gallery, Birmingham.
Birmingham City Council Business Grant
Arts in Sandwell Local Arts Fund Award.
Arts Council England Creative Ambition Award.
West Midlands Arts Bursary Award.
Princes Trust Award.
Curator for ‘Art in Empty Spaces’, Exhibition, Queens Square, West Bromwich for Sandwell Third Age Arts
Curator for ‘Arts All Over the Place’ Exhibition Festival of Arts and Mental Health, Custard Factory, for Birmingham & Solihull Mental Health NHSTrust.
Curator for ‘Survivor Art Exhibition’, Birmingham UniversityInstitute of Applied Social Sciences & Birmingham & Solihull Mental Health NHS Trust.
Curator for ‘Spring Celebration’s’ at Haden Hill House, Cradley Heath, for Sandwell Third Age Arts.
Curator for ‘Survivor Art Exhibition’ Birmingham University Institute of Applied Social Sciences & Birmingham & Solihull Mental Health NHS Trust.